Urinary tract infection (peds)
- 75% of children < 5 y/o with febrile UTIs have pyelo, 27-64% will have permanent renal scarring.
- 10 fold increase in UTIs for uncirc boys
-After 12 mos, occult UTI w/ (-) UA xtremely rare!
- bag urine results in 83% false pos.
- send urine cx on all febrile infants, 20% will have negative UA
-Neg UA= neg LE, Nit, GS & <5 WBC
UTI: cephalexin or cefixime, 10-14 days for infants and 7 days for children
- treatment: infants 10-14 day course, children 7 day course of cephalexin or cefixime.
-Admit all pyelos <3 mo or if vomiting