- Type: Antipsychotic, first generation
- Dosage Forms: 25mg/mL IV solution; 25mg/5 mL oral solution; 10, 25, and 100mg tablets
- Routes of Administration: PO, IM, IV
- Common Trade Names: Thorazine
- Oral: 10 to 25mg every 4 to 6 hours as needed. May increase, if necessary.
- IM: 25mg one time. If no hypotension occurs, give 25 to 50mg every 3 to 4 hours as needed, then switch to oral dosage.
- IV: 2mg at 2 minute intervals. Do not exceed 25mg. Dilute to 1mg/mL.
- Oral: 25 to 50mg 3 to 4 times a day
- IM: If symptoms persist for 2 to 3 days, give 25 to 50mg IM
- IV infusion: Should symptoms persist, use slow IV infusion: 25 to 50mg in 500 to 1000 mL of saline.
- IM: Initial Dose 25 to 50mg. The dose may be repeated in one hour. Subsequent doses may be increased and given every 2 to 4 hours as needed.
- Oral: Initial Dose: 10 to 25mg orally 3 times a day. Total daily doses should be increased in 20 to 50mg increments every 3 or 4 days until symptoms are controlled.
- Usual Maintenance Dose: 200mg/day orally
should not be used in children under 6 months
- Oral: 0.5 to 1mg/kg/dose every 4 to 6 hours as needed.
- IM or IV: 0.5 to 1mg/kg/dose every 6 to 8 hours
Maximum recommended doses
- less than 5 years (less than 22.7 kg): 40mg/day
- 5 and older (22.7-45.5 kg): 75mg/day
- Pregnancy Rating: C
- Lactation risk: drug is excreted in breast milk; patients should discuss with physician risks/benefits if breastfeeding
- Allergy to class/drug
- Extrapyramidal reactions (e.g., Parkinson-like symptoms, dystonia, akathisia, tardive dyskinesia), drowsiness, dizziness, skin reactions or rash, dry mouth, orthostatic hypotension, amenorrhea, galactorrhea, weight gain.
- Chlorpromazine. Retrieved from http://www.drugs.com/cdi/chlorpromazine.html
- US National Library of Medicine. Chlorpromazine: MedlinePlus Drug Information. Retrieved from https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682040.html.
- P Young. The ICU Drug Manual. Chlorpromazine. Retrieved from http://lifeinthefastlane.com/book/critical-care-drugs/chlorpromazine/