- Dosage Forms:
- Routes of Administration:
- Common Trade Names: Pitocin
- 10 international units (IU) can be injected intramuscularly OR
- 20 IU in 1 L of saline may be infused at a rate of 250 mL per hour
- 500 mL can be infused over 10 minutes without complications.
- First line therapy for postpartum hemorrhage
- Allergy to class/drug
- Rapid administration may cause hypotension
- Mechanism of Action:
- Soriano D et al. A prospective cohort study of oxytocin plus ergometrine compared with oxytocin alone for prevention of postpartum haemorrhage. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1996;103:1068–73.