Acute pulmonary toxicity from crack cocaine
(Redirected from Crack lung)
- Also known as "crack lung"
- Due to hemorrhagic alveolitis from inhalational crack cocaine use 
- Crack cocaine vaporizes at 187°C
- Characterized by dyspnea and hypoxia after crack cocaine use
- May also see:
- Acute eosinophilic pneumonia
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Pulmonary embolism
- Congestive heart failure
- Acute coronary syndrome
- Subcutaneous emphysema/pneumomediastinum
- Generally a clinical diagnosis
- Consider CXR and labs
- Forrester JM. Crack lung: an acute pulmonary syndrome with a spectrum of clinical and histopathologic findings. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1990;142(2):462-7.
- Devlin RJ, Henry JA. Clinical review: Major consequences of illicit drug consumption. Critical Care. 2008;12(1):202. doi:10.1186/cc6166.
- Kissner DG.Crack lung: pulmonary disease caused by cocaine abuse. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1987;136(5):1250-2.