(Redirected from Stonefish)
- Synanceia genus of fish of the family Synanceiidae
- Venom is dangerous and even fatal to humans (possibly most venomous fish known)
- Found in the coastal regions of the Indo-Pacific.
- Local erythema, ecchymosis, swelling
- Intense, sharp pain
- Systemic toxicity:
- Venomous fish
- Phylum porifera (sponges)
- No specific testing available
- Clinical diagnosis
- Clean wound, update tetanus, remove retained tissue
- One fifth of wounds develop local infection, but prophylactic antibiotics remain controversial 
- Immerse extremity in hot water (45 C) for 30-60 minutes
- Severe toxicity can be treated with antivenin obtained through poison control
- *Hobday D, Chadha P, Din AH, Geh J. Denaturing the Lionfish. Eplasty. 2016 May 23;16:ic20. PMID: 27298709; PMCID: PMC4892334.