- No longer recommended at all in the United Kingdom
- In United States, only recommended for invasive dental procedures (not routine cleanings) and invasive respiratory procedures in setting of: 
- Prosthetic valves
- Prior endocarditis
- Un-repaired congenital cyanotic heart disease
- Repaired congenital heart disease/valvulopathy with prosthetic material
- Wilson W. et al. Prevention of infective endocarditis: guidelines from the American Heart Association: a guideline from the American Heart Association Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease Committee, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, and the Council on Clinical Cardiology, Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia, and the Quality of Care and Outcomes Research Interdisciplinary Working Group. Circulation 2007;116(15):e376-e377.
- Richey R, Wray D, Stokes T. Prophylaxis against infective endocarditis: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ 2008;336: 770-1.
- Wilson W, et al. Prevention of Infective Endocarditis: Guidelines from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2007;116:1736-1754