Oxalic acid toxicity
- Used in bleach and rust removers
- Also found in some species of plants
Mechanism of Toxicity
- Solution form:
- Irritative and Corrosive
- Causes hypocalcemia and formation of calcium oxalate crystals that can deposit in brain, heart, and kidneys.
- Insoluble form:
- Local mucous membrane irritation
- 5-15 g can be lethal
- Direct contact with skin/eyes
- Skin and eye irritation and burning
- No specific levels for oxalic acid
- Olson, K. Poisoning and Drug Overdose, 1999.